Monday, August 24, 2009

Endurance 7/27/09

So, in children's church all month long we have talked about forgiveness and faith....many times referencing the story of Joseph. You know his story - he interpreted dreams right? His father gave him a colorful coat right? The real story in his life is that his brothers took his clothes, threw him in a pit, sold him into slavery, people lied about him and he got thrown in jail...ultimately, despite major life obstacles, he ended up in leadership, 2nd to only Pharoah - in Egypt no less! The endurance and faith this man showed in the face of insurmountable odds it seemed...well, why the heck didn't he just give up? Because he KNEW God had a calling on his life and he BELIEVED.

In my morning reading, this story was brought to my attention again - I love how God works sometimes. Last week, a friend confided a revelation/epiphany about how the power is inside of you...we just GIVE other things in our life the power. This was again driven home by a dear friend who spoke this week. Then again, by my brother in Christ's blog [check it out under jeff letourneau's blog - good stuff]. We not only give things power in this world but we hand over our power every day to others.

This is what God has been speaking to me for weeks and as usual, it takes him basically knocking me on my butte to actually get it.I speak for me but I think we all get distracted by life. So focused on what others think - why they are avoiding us, why they think what they think, why no one can see who we really are [or so we think]....we get so caught up in this mindset that we give our power to others or we hand it over willingly [but unknowingly sometimes] to the destructive paths in our life. The problem is that when God speaks, we believe it right then but moving forward in that, we let what we SEE affect what we BELIEVE.

In Hebrews 11:1 it states, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." If we know God is speaking into our lives or giving us specific wisdom in some area, why do we doubt? Why do we modify it based on what others say? If someone hears something different from God, does thast mean what God spoke to you is void? No, it means God's plans are not our own and he weaves it together the way he wants to. The obedience in what He speaks TO YOU is the important part. In obedience, He will make known what He wants to make known in His timing.

How was Joseph not influenced by his brothers or his surroundings? How great an endurance he had in faith. Why, when we do not see immediate results, are we doubtful of what we were told? Many times, God delays on purpose and the delay is just as much of an answer to your prayer as the fulfillment is when it comes.

Boy, did this hit me like a ton of bricks this morning.In Mark 9, there is the story of a man whose son was possessed, could not speak, and had seizures. He told Jesus that the disciples could not cast out the spirit...he then goes on to ask Jesus if he can, would he drive it out. Imagine Jesus' frustration. He wondered aloud how long he would have to stay with such an unbelieving generation - how then must he feel about our generation? Oh my!

Anyhow, in Mark 9:23, Jesus says, " If you can?...Everything is possible for him who believes." Did you hear? EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE FOR HIM WHO BELIEVES. We must believe God's word or not. Those are the only two choices we have. We cannot be moved by what we see or feel. We must stand firm despite what the world throws at us - or what people throw at us, purposely and unknowingly. Reach a point, where you are not giving the power to your emotions, to your actions, to your heart even - but always giving the power to your faith. Do not be moved by the world, do not be moved by fear, but be moved by your faith - KNOW that it is not what you see but what God's word in your life promises. Do look for Godly confirmation but do not hang all your hopes on the opinion of others. Believe me, I know from firsthand experience that it does not work.

Know who you are despite what others may say or think...even despite your own insecurities, inaction, disobedience...life mistakes. No one is perfect - don't let 'em fool ya. God uses those things in our life that may be displeasing to Him - to teach us, to train us, to refine us into what He already sees and knows that we are and what He continuously tries to tell us.This may be too personal but you guys know my transparency, I went to a conference last week and God brought alot of things up for me....first and foremost, I hang my head always...He tells me to lift my face to Him - He sees me differently than I see me. He knows the purpose, I just need to BELIEVE there is one. I was singing the song...do not know the name but the words in the chorus are Wonderful, Beautiful, Glorious [maybe not in that order]...as I lifted my face up toward him, I felt He was singing it right back. THAT, people, is how God feels about each and every one of us despite our unbelief/sins.

His promise is evident in Phillipians 3:13-14, "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."So, continue to fight the good fight, know God's power is not OVER you but IN you. Stay in His word and BELIEVE that every word from God applies to your life too. Have endurance in the face of trials/tests.. BELIEVE that God speaks to you and know His word NEVER comes back void. When He speaks, ask for confirmation and then run with it and be obedient! Know that you will make mistakes. Know that not everyone will "get" you or even like you and that is okay - try to make it right but move on. Know that God will delay blessings in your life - it's training ground - make the most of it! Most importantly, KNOW that His promises ARE real and keep BELIEVING!

Faith up!

No comments:

Post a Comment